All Original 1965 Airstream Safari 22’ Project
I bought this trailer last spring from someone in Spokane who found it in a barn. It is an unmolested time capsule that has fallen into disrepair and needs someone (else) to bring it back to life! I was drawn to this trailer because of it’s originality and it’s layout. Each dinette bench is long enough to sleep a grown man. At 22 feet long, it fits perfectly in my driveway in Seattle.
I have carefully started removing the cabinetry to rebuild but only got to removing the dinette, fridge cabinet and cabinet above the twin bed. My plan was to disassemble the cabinet pieces and rebuild them using the originals as templates. To be able to inspect the floor condition and address any frame rust, I paid to have the belly pan removed. I have also purchased a few hundred dollars worth of parts that come with the trailer for the asking price.
– Original interior and layout
– Shell is in great condition with one minor dent on curbside rear
– Floor has no soft spots
– Original floor tiles
– Bathroom is original and complete
– New wheels, tires, and recently repacked bearings
– Replacement 65-only tail light housings
– Replacement astradome
– All seals and moldings to rebuild windows
– Has original lifetime warranty affixed to inside bathroom closet door
– Clean title from the original owner
– Pretty much all the cabinetry foreward of the bathroom will need to be rebuilt due to plywood delamination
– Some frame rust near the entry step
– Back bumper support is rusted through and needs some welding work done to repair it
– All systems in unknown condition.
– Trailer umbillical cord cut, no running lights (comes with temporary trailering lights) but there are no trailer brakes. I drove it all the way back from Spokane like this 225mi without issue. I bought a new umbillical cord and wiring items from Vintage Trailer Supply, that comes with it.
– At one point it had a tarp covering it and so the shell has some black marks on it from the wind moving the tarp causing it to rub on the aluminum