Our beloved, well-maintained and very well equipped 2019 22-foot Airstream Bambi Sport “Merlin” is now for sale. We are 81 and 83 and starting to realize that we are no longer young. We will miss being Airstream owners but believe this is the right decision for us.
When we purchased Merlin in January 2019 new from the Airstream Dealer in Albuquerque, NM, Holiday Travel Sales, one 90-watt Zamp solar panel was installed on the roof as well as two rock guards to protect the left and right front panels. In September of 2019 we had a second 90-watt Zamp solar panel added to the roof and upgraded the battery configuration. That work was done in Albuquerque at the Airstream dealer. Merlin now has two Group 24 Lifeline batteries installed in two battery boxes behind the two propane tanks. With this configuration the two of us were very comfortable for five days and nights in late September on the North Rim of The Grand Canyon with no external power connection, even though we were parked in the shade of some trees.
Some of the other upgrades we installed or had installed are:
• Airstream Connected was installed in early 2019. This was a brand-new product at the time that consisted of an antenna and a router and a connection to AT&T’s network that allowed us to have decent Wi-Fi connection inside Merlin, the tow vehicle, and while sitting outside under the awning. The Airstream Dealer installed it.
• Full length awning on the street side installed by the Airstream Dealer.
• Maxx Air Cover for vent to allow the vent to be open when it is raining, by Airstream Dealer.
• New water pump because original one was back-siphoning and filling water tank, by Airsteam Dealer.
• Connection added near water pump to make using winterizing fluid easy, by Airstream Dealer.
• 3-inch lift kit installed by Tom’s RV Service and Sales in Albuquerque in January 2022. Tom’s is just down Central Avenue from the Airstream Dealer who recommended Tom’s for the work we wanted done.
• Installed MicroAir Easy Start on air conditioner, by Tom’s RV.
• Installed Smart Cord Connection, by Tom’s.
• Installed NoLox door system to prevent accidental door locking, by Tom’s.
• Installed new Equal-I-Zer 4 Point 600/6000 LB and set proper height, by Tom’s.
• Replaced tires with new Goodyear Endurance ST225/75R15E tires with metal stems to work with TST systems, by Tom’s.
• Installed TST system, by Tom’s.
• We replaced the original plastic folding shower door with a glass door provided by Airstream in 2020. The new door has been a huge improvement.
• We added two GasStop shut off valves to the two propane tanks. Not only do these valves provide the safety feature of automatic shutoff from a major propane leak, the monitor actually shows the level of the propane in the tank.
Since we have owned Merlin, we have pulled the trailer about 16,000 miles around the country. Most of the trips have been to various National Parks or visits to see far away friends. In the three years Merlin was under warrantee the only issues that needed to be addressed were:
• Two popped interior rivets (we have run with the cold tire pressure at 65 lbs., which may have helped prevent too many popped rivets)
• A foot of loose exterior trim on the curb side
• Loose trim on the table
• A crack in the back of the forward dinette seat.
Merlin had the exterior checked for any problems twice by the Airstream dealer and once by Tom’s, and no problems were found. In March 2020 Santa Fe RV checked the brakes and replaced the brake assemblies and drums and packed the wheel bearings. They believed our brake controller might have been set too aggressively. Tom’s RV checked and adjusted the brakes and packed the bearing in January 2022 when the new Goodyear Endurance tires were installed. Merlin has been driven about 4400 miles since them.
Neither of us smoke, and our animals stay home with a pet sitter rather than traveling with us so you won’t be bothered by left over smells or animal hair or dander. Merlin has been stored in a very secure paved outdoor storage facility. There are traps on the property for pack rats, a common problem in New Mexico. We have never had an issue with either ants, mice or rats in Merlin. After the summer season all food stuff is always removed from the trailer.
The Title for Merlin is in our safe. The trailer is available immediately assuming we can agree on the terms of a sale. We will accept only a wire transfer from your bank account into our account as payment. After that is accomplished, a Bill of Sale will be provided and the Title will be signed over to you, the new owner.
We are looking forward to answering your questions and giving you a tour.
Thank you for looking at Merlin.